Sunday, October 2, 2011

impaled by a potato chip

It's been awhile since I've had a real mishap. Over the last several months, I've developed tennis elbow, a pinched nerve in my neck, had to have bladder surgery because it had prolapsed and now I'm looking at having my thyroid operated on. And let's not talk about the dental work that is happening. I got insurance and my body fell apart - literally. None of those things are really funny and so don't qualify as a mishap, but today I had a bona fide mishap.

The cats decided it was time for me to get up. They sat on my chest, they sat on my head and when I covered my head with the pillow, they tried to suffocate me so I crawled out of bed and made my way to the kitchen. As I was shuffling around, trying to find breakfast for me while not tripping over the furry ones, I stepped down on something sharp. It embeded itself in the bottom of my foot. The soft skin of the arch where no summer callous had formed. The tender area right in front of my heel. It felt like I had stepped on glass. The pain was swift. I hobbled over to a chair wincing with each step.

Before I turned my foot up to look at it, I ran my hand over it, hoping to remove the offending material but it felt like I had a sliver in my foot, but I was puzzled at the stinging. When I finally bent to look at the sole of my foot, I found a broken potato chip piercing my foot. A potato chip! The salt from the offending material caused the stinging sensation. My doctor told me, chips were bad for my health, but I don't think he meant in this way.

No comments:

Post a Comment