Saturday, May 19, 2012

Creativity Day 1

I'm getting a head start on my summer of creativity. Technically, it won't start until school lets out for summer vacation and I won't have to head into the classroom every day, but it was a Saturday and the temperatures in Michigan were summer-like so I headed outside.

First stop - head to the Lowes to pick up a couple of 6-packs of violas and marigolds. Yesterday I found a new nursery and picked up some railing flower pots. When I went to put them on the deck, I found that my deck railing was about an inch to thin and my pots were wobbly. Not a problem, being the creative type, while I was at Lowes I found some felt pads that go on the bottoms of chairs. I figure I'll wedge to of these between the planter and the railing and they'll fit snuggly.

Once back at home, I put two red geraniums in each pot and one white trailing flower. I put some river gravel in the bottom of each pot for drainage and then wedged the flowers in tightly. A good watering and they're ready to go.

Then I looked at the deck. Ewww. The paint had peeled off and the wood was ugly and gray so before I place the planters I decided to stain the deck. I used a red stain to add a splash of additional color. My theme for that garden is red, white and blue.

So I made something pretty, perked up something and now I'm feeling pretty good for my effort. Tomorrow I'll snap some pictures and post them.

Yes, I wanted to do some baking, but I'm going to try very hard to stick to one project at a time and finish it before I move on to the next one. If I get up early, I'll try to make some bread from scratch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment