Monday, May 2, 2011

Cowboy Casserole

Since I'm starting my new...oh let's call it what it really is...hobby du jour...I'm pulling out some of my favorite recipes complete with my comments because a recipe is just a starting point to a really good dish.

Prep Time: 5 Min
Cook Time: 20 Min
Ready In: 25 Min

Ingredients
1/2 pound bacon
1 pound ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
2 (15 ounce) cans baked beans with pork
1/3 cup barbeque sauce
1 (7.5 ounce) package refrigerated biscuit dough

a few suggestions - the refrigerated biscuits are ok, but I like to use drop biscuits like Bisquick with a dash of garlic salt added.
Also I add a bit of seasoning to the ground beef while cooking.
Some chopped peppers adds a nice flavor and if you like mushrooms add those with the baked beans.

Directions
1.Cook bacon in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium heat until evenly browned. Drain, and cut into bite size pieces. Set aside. Add hamburger and onion to the skillet, and cook until no longer pink, and the onion is tender. Drain.
2.Stir bacon, baked beans and barbeque sauce into the ground beef, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low, and place biscuits in a single layer over the top of the mixture. Cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the biscuits are done. Place two biscuits on each plate, and spoon beans over.

This is simple and tasty. I found the original recipe on Allrecipes.com and then played around with additional ingridients.

My rating system - hubby has one serving - it's edible
hubby has two servings - it's ok to pretty good
hubby has three or more servings - it's fantastic

This one scored 3 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment